Thursday, July 25, 2013

Counting Moments

 
We're enjoying a week of shore leave from the S.S. Treasurehunter (our VBS ship's name), as we find ourselves halfway through our summer ministry responsibilities.  The boys have been to southern Indiana for a little fishing, Gene's trying to get caught up at work, and I'm washing clothes and buying school supplies.  Yes, school already--eek!
 
Housework has suffered a bit this week, and by that, I  mean that I tossed some new pillows on the couch and declared the livingroom done; I'm also using a nightmare of finding a boa constrictor in the flowerbed as an excuse to avoid pulling weeds.  Do not judge me.
 
Monday begins 2 back-to-back VBS weeks, and at the moment, 3/4 of the family is sick.  I think we brought home a respiratory virus from church camp in Michigan and everyone except Kent is achy, and sneezy, and sleepy, and all of the other miserable, congested dwarves.  (And as I type this, Kent is beginning to cough and sneeze too...)
 
This sickness is especially bad for Connor (who never usually gets sick), because he's trying to finish the last two subjects of summer work-ahead schooling so that we can be away for a few weeks this winter and not have him get behind.  He has spent most of today holding a pencil and staring at the wall with glazed eyes. 
 
On the VBS front, our beautiful pirate ship from Shindigz has been a pitiful disappointment.  It was not their usual quality by far: assembly takes HOURS and extra supplies, and the cardboard material is much thinner than our other purchases and has not been strong enough to entirely bear its own weight since the beginning.  I am desperately PRAYING it through next week, and I have an alternate décor in mind for the final VBS. 
 
We are tired, but much blessed, and I wish summer wasn't racing to a close, but I think we're ready to be home and in a routine again.  And I really, REALLY hope I make sense, because frankly, I feel awful.  If you'll excuse me, I have a date with Dayquil and hot tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by today!